One question I get asked often is “How can I develop my leadership style?”. You would be surprised to learn that this question isn’t always asked by aspiring leaders, but also tenured business executives who still struggle with defining their style.
You might be wondering how can a business executive be struggling if they’re so tenured in business? And that’s a perfectly normal question.
As a Global HR, Leadership Coach and Corporate Consultant, a part of what I do is to coach and empower individuals to make the transition from a manager to a leader.
A manager and leader share very little in common:
- Achieve an end goal
- A team of individuals working to make that happen
A manager does this through control and reminding you of their authority whereas a leader does this through influence and motivation.
When tenured executives seek out my services it’s because they’ve acknowledged that by remaining a manager and neglecting the transition into leadership, their business is held back from achieving greatness.
Take a look at Amazon, they’re taking over the business sphere more and more every day, but their reputation inside the organization, employees and working conditions, is less than stellar. Amazon is doing amazing things but not to their true potential. Take Apple for example, even in a different industry, they have reached great heights because of their “cult-like” workplace creating a “cult-like” following. Every person I’ve spoken with employed with Apple has nothing but amazing things to say about their culture and experience. They have mastered their ability to develop quality products, make a mark in their industry, AND fine-tune their leadership creating a successful and attractive work environment worldwide.
Executives are now truly understanding the importance of developing themselves so they can further develop their business and lead it to success.
Here are my 4 tips to help you start your journey to develop your leadership style so you can create massive growth in your business:
- Analyze: Reflect back and observe the leaders and inspiring individuals you admire and look up to. You might have one or you might have many, that’s okay. Write down all the traits and characteristics you admire about each leader.
- Adopt: This is a two-step process. What traits and characteristics do they have that you admire? Highlight those overlapping traits so you can find common ground between them. Adopt and blend those traits with your own.
- Evolve: This is a constant practice of trial and error. What works for one person won’t always work for another, but with practice, you’ll figure out what works for you. Understand that it takes time to develop your leadership style and it doesn’t happen overnight. It depends on your environment and what feels comfortable and natural for you.
- Develop: Conduct a SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunities, Threats) analysis on yourself consistently to determine areas of strengths & weaknesses. Never stop developing your strengths and never neglect your weaknesses. Just like soft skills, they must be maintained. Learning never stops.
Being adaptable, and persistent to life-long learning will undoubtedly set you apart from the rest. It will help you to better handle change and major transformations, and adjust your style as needed. Start practicing these 4 steps today to build the foundation for your leadership style to transform your life, relationships, and working culture.
How would you describe your leadership style? If you’re struggling, what traits do the leaders you look up to possess? Drop a comment below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog for the most up to date Human Resources, Leadership, and Personal Development content at heidilynneco.com/blog . By subscribing you will receive the tools, resources, and skills to overcome the overwhelm, self-doubt and get the time back in your day to do the things YOU want to do.
I personally invite you to join my community “the Global B.L.E.N.D.” connecting Businesses, Leaders, and Entrepreneurs to Network Digitally. Together we share tips, tricks, and content to help us learn, grow, and succeed in business. Come join us at: Facebook.com/the_Global_B.L.E.N.D.